I went down to the mouth of the Hirogawa river this morning. I’ll need the food soon, but more than that I was hoping the old man would be there again. He said he’d been coming there at the same time for years, and I just wanted to talk to someone. I waited there for about two hours, constantly looking around but did not see anyone. I haven’t seen anyone since the woman came banging on my door, and it’s really starting to feel spooky. I’m so glad the internet is still working!

I gave up waiting and went home with two medium sized fish again, which I gutted (thanks google sensei) and stored one in the freezer and saved one for dinner. Seeing no sign of anyone in town, I also decided to borrow the crowbar, just in case. I’ll bring it back once things settle down a bit. Maybe it’s overkill, but I’d rather be safe than sorry.

img_3175The news has been oddly quiet recently, especially given that the last things I heard were two riots or fights or whatever they were and the story about overcrowding in the jails. There’s been no follow up at all… The one thing they have said is that Japan is in a state of emergency, but we should remain calm. The prime minister was even on the news saying that everything was under control, and we’d be back to normality soon. It’s a little hard to believe, but they aren’t giving us much more in the way of information.

My food stocks are getting low. I’ve started to ration a bit more by cutting down my portion size, but even then I’ll only have plain rice left after about a week. The water is still on though, which is a blessing. As the recycling hasn’t been collected in a while, I actually snuck down and picked up some bottles, which I filled with tap water. Can’t be too certain about how long it’s going to last at this rate, so it’s good to be prepared. I’m all out of milk, yoghurt, cheese and vegetables, but I’m sure I can survive without them for a wee while. I still have a little frozen broccoli, which will add a bit of colour to the rice and fish tonight. After that it’ll just be canned beans and corn.

I got a message from my mum back in New Zealand this evening. She’s really worried about me and is encouraging me to keep trying to get hold of the police and not do anything stupid. She also wants me home as soon as the travel ban is lifted. Apparently my driver’s licence back home also needs to be renewed, but I don’t think I’ll be able to go in and do that right now.

Ahhh… I don’t know what to do. I don’t know what is going on in this country. I emailed Alex to see how things are going up in the city and am hoping to hear back from him soon. It’s been a few days, so I hope he’s doing alright. Otherwise I really don’t know enough people here, so have very few people to connect with. It’s getting lonely and this apartment feels like it’s getting smaller by the day.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s